Change Location × New Haven, CT

    Recent Locations

      Tax Workshop for G&P Students, April 3 in New Haven

      • Tax Workshop for G&P Students, April 3 Photo #1
      1 of 1
      April 3, 2019

      Wednesday   4:00 PM

      421 Temple St
      New Haven, Connecticut 06511

      • No Performers Listed
      Tax Workshop for G&P Students, April 3

      As an international student or scholar, do you have to file your taxes? The answer is YES. For everyone! It is tax season and ALL international students/scholars who were in the U.S. for any period during 2018 must file a tax return. The filing deadline this year is Monday, April 15, 2019. You may be entitled to a refund and the only way to get your money back is to file. OISS staff will be holding tax workshops the first week of April, to walk you through the FNTR tax software, a tax return preparation software for non-resident tax filers. Please bring your laptop and your income statements and we will demonstrate the software for you in person. We cannot offer tax file advising, but can show you how to use the software.  Please read through the below for helpful hints before registering for this workshop. *If you did not have U.S. income in 2018, you only need to file the form 8843 (see below). You do not need to use FNTR to complete this form.  Important things to remember: If you did NOT HAVE U.S. source income in 2018, you still need to file, but you do not need an SSN or ITIN (Individual Tax ID). You must file the form 8843 (fill out Part I and Part III; sign and date on the second page; and mail to the address in the instructions – remember to make a copy before mailing). You do not need to use FNTR software to complete form 8843. If you had U.S. source income in 2018, you will need an SSN or ITIN (you need only one of these tax IDs; you do not need both) to file your federal tax return. If you are eligible for an SSN (i.e. are currently working on campus), you should apply for one now. If you are not eligible for a SSN and need an ITIN, please make an appointment to meet with Ozan Say. Make sure you have all applicable IRS tax forms: Form W-2 for wages, and form 1042-S for taxable financial aid (i.e. the excess amount between your total aid and your tuition; if your total gift aid was less than the tuition you will not have a 1042-S). The university distributed the W-2 forms in late January and will distribute 1042-S forms in mid-March. (Important Note: Please check the SSN or Tax ID field on your tax forms and make sure this is your SSN or ITIN (if you have one). If you have not reported your SSN or ITIN to your School’s Registrar, the university will print your student ID number in this field. This needs to be corrected before you can file your tax return. See the right-hand box on “Income Statements” here about which office to contact to get your tax forms corrected.) If you encounter a technical problem while using FNTR, click on “contact us” at the bottom of the page and ask your question directly to FNTR representatives. FNTR does not submit your tax return electronically. You must print out your completed tax return and mail to the IRS. The mailing address will be on the instruction sheet that will be created at the end of the process by FNTR. Always make and keep a copy of your completed tax return. FNTR only prepares the federal tax return. You may also have a state income tax requirement. Click here for more details. The tax preparation software (FNTR) is now available.  This software will assist non-resident tax filers with the 2018 tax return. Look for an email from OISS (Information About Filing your Taxes for 2018) with instructions about how to obtain an access code for FNTR. 

      Categories: Other & Miscellaneous

      Event details may change at any time, always check with the event organizer when planning to attend this event or purchase tickets.